21. Auld Lang Syne

What in the hell does Auld Lang Syne mean? Why do we play it every January 1 at the stroke of midnight and why does it kind make you feel a little nostalgic? 

Well, a quick trip to Google tells me it is an Scot's language poem that loosely translates "for the sake of old times". In that context it is quite clear why we play it and why it makes us melancholy as another year comes to an end. I guess the melody does that and not the lyrics since I have never met a person that knows anything other than "Should auld acquaintance be forgot, da da  da da da. Should auld acquaintance be forgot and days of auld lang syne". So now we know. 

 I am going to be honest. I have never been a big New Year's Eve fan. When we would go out, it always tended to be more crowded and people tended to be more stupid than usual. My dad always said, "Be careful. It is amateur hour." Truer words have never been spoken. It is also filled with cockeyed optimism about the magic that a flip of a calendar will somehow make everything right.....wrong. Life is life. It knows nothing of the calendar. The hope is nice, but there is a reason that resolutions tend not to last more than a few days.  Wow, maybe my post about being old before my time was true. Maybe I am a bit of a Grinch about some things. Imagine what I will be like when I am 80!!! Get off my lawn. Maybe I am just a realist.Who knows? Anyway, I digress. 

Despite my preconceived notions about New Year's I do enjoy hearing this song and the forced reflection I am conditioned to partake in when I hear it. I think about eating bacon wrapped steak and drinking kiddie cocktails as we celebrated my sister's birthday growing up. I think about enjoying staying up til midnight, much like my kids do now. I enjoy the memories of celebrating with my wife before we were married as well as after. Simple things and simple times with the people that mean the most to me.  I remember laughing at the absolutely horrific New Year's TV coverage here in Chicago. I still smile knowing that despite our growing older my wife still looks forward to the ball drop.I also like to tell myself to be more patient and understanding. Whether or not I listen to my advice, well that is up for debate. 

 Most of all I love looking back on the tradition she started with our kids. The yearly family room balloon drop. Such a simple thing brings such unrestrained joy to the people I love the most. So as we close the door on 2020, which has been a challenging (read true motherfucker of a) year for just about everyone I know, you can listen to this absolutely kick ass version by Jimi Hendrix. It will give you a smile as you remember the old times. After you do that enjoy the joy of watching my acorns celebrate a new year.  The pandemic may rage, half the country my hate the other half and times may be hard for any variety or reasons, but the joy of my kids watching balloons fall after counting down from 10....well that is something that gives me joy and hope for the future. 

You know what? After writing this I realize I do enjoy New Year's Eve, but only on my own terms. I just like it low key, with the ones I love and with the ability to look back on the times that have raced by all too quickly. Happy New Year.

https://youtu.be/kdTjaxIF784?si=zDnZrcKXV2SNnnpv





Comments

Popular Posts