28. It Makes No Difference

 The Band. Americana pioneers that largely came from Canada.  Go figure. The best band name there ever could be. If you call yourself The Band you better be good and man, they were great.  The Band. Dylan's iconic back up band from the mid 60s whirlwind era of his career.  The Band. You've heard The Weight with the oft misheard lyric of "take a load off Fanny"....YES  it is not Annie or even "Benny" as a prior boss of mine once said. They had so many songs, but this one is by far my favorite. 

It starts off with Robbie Robertson's piercing guitar that brings me back the beautiful chaotic instrumental interlude of Never Say Goodbye.  The studio version is outstanding, but I have to put my vote in for the version from The Last Waltz, the famous Scorsese concert film of The Band's goodbye performance. It really was just a Robbie Robertson ego trip that fortunately was accompanied by some great music and performances.

Anyway.....after the piercing guitar we get Rick Danko's soulful song about heartbreak and loss. As always his steady bass melodically paves the way, but it is his voice that brings this one home. It sounds like it will crack into a cry that feels sad and joyous at the same time. The harmonies hammer home the sentiments of this song.  It makes you love love and makes you hate the pain it can bring. Aside from the masterful musicianship and vocals, the lyrics on this really just hit you again and again. One after another they just keep hitting you with heartbreak and truth. Bam, Bam, Bam.  Beautiful song sung by a guy that always seemed to be smiling in performances and interviews, but succumbed to vices at 56 years old. A life full of tragedy that seem well lived, but as is often the case a "well lived life" often ends too soon.  Really makes you think about what goes on behind the scenes of the facades people put out there for the world to see.

 Always one of my favorite songs. I can go on and on, but just press play and don't let the music distract you from the lyrical shots he fires at you again and gain. Just pure truth about living life and loving. 

"and the sun don't shine anymore, and the rains fall down on my door"

"there is no love as true as the love that dies untold and the clouds never hung so low before"

"It makes no difference how far I go, like a scar the hurt with always show"

"These old love letters I just just can't keep, cause like the gambler says read 'em and weep"

"and the dawn don't rescue me no more"

"without your love I'm nothing at all" 

"since you been gone it's a losing battle, stampeding cattle, they rattle the walls"

"well, I love you so much, and it's all I can do just to keep myself from telling you, that I never felt so alone before"




Bonus from My Morning Jacket cover





Comments

Popular Posts