22. The Ballad of the Kingsmen

It has been awhile since I posted and that is really because I have been struggling to find the right song to strike enough of a chord to get me over a bit of writer's block. The deep freeze of the post holiday season doesn't seem to do a whole lot to motivate me. This being said my Spotify played some Todd Snider the other day and it got me laughing. It also got me thinking about how I can't help myself from calling out BS when I see it so I decided to introduce the blog to the story songs of Todd Snider.

Todd Snider has been around awhile, but you probably have never heard of him. That is a shame. The good news is that you will now and I will make sure you hear bit more or him in the future. The dude is hilarious and can write a damn good song man.  He is a bit of a throwback folksinger type. Some talking blues, storytelling songs, humor and keen observation about the world.  He is great. He would have fit right in the 60s coffee house scene, but we are lucky enough to have his wit to comment on the craziness of this day and age. 

"The Ballad of the Kingsmen" is a humorous take on the 'moral outrage'  around lyrics and music  that bubbles up every so often. What about the children!!?!!? You know the kind of outrage that seeks to find a scapegoat for all of the bad in the world while ignoring the true moral gaps in society? Well in a way that only he can he takes us from "Louie Louie" to bullying, to Marilyn Manson, war, to the hypocrisy of organized religion and eventually to Marvin Gaye.  A true masterclass in social commentary that is scathing and funny at the same time. The world needs more people to honestly tell it like it is and Todd Snider does just that here.  Enjoy.





Comments

Popular Posts