9. Southside of Heaven

 

Ryan Bingham is back again with Southside of Heaven.  It is one of his best songs.  A while back my dad said that "I'm running parallel to heaven, but leaning a little closer to hell" would make a great song lyric. I agree and for some reason this song always reminds me of that line.  This one begins with an acoustic guitar sequence that reminds me of the rhythmic rolling sound of a freight train.  It is a loaded song musically, especially live. The guitars, harmonica and fiddle really let loose in a concert setting and is is fun to be a part of, especially in some of the bars and small venues we have been lucky enough hear it. 

It is also loaded with some great lyrics. This too is a song about struggle and redemption. From being stranded, family issues, poverty and salvation. The song starts out slow and builds to a joyous ending and in between we get a great lyrical journey that is relatable to our everyday life. 

"Losing faith in my family
Had drivin me out my damn mind"

Who among us, at one time or another, hasn't had family drive them out of their damn mind?

"I've been a desperado in West Texas
For so long, Lord, I need a change"

Who among us, at one time or another, hasn't felt trapped in a job we hate?

"Can't you see that breeze
Nothing but a change in pace
Money can't buy my soul
'Cause it comes from a hard earned place"

I love the line about the breeze being nothing but a change in pace. It really reminds of a John Prine lyric being that it is a unique way to describe something so simple. 

A great song and when you listen to it you can easily feel like there is hope for us all. I have shared two great versions. Enjoy!





Comments

Popular Posts