7. The Devil is All Around

Shovels and Rope. A husband and wife duo.  Very talented multi-instrumentalists. My wife and I have seen them live a few times and for two people they have a big sound. I absolutely love the harmonies they create while singing.  This song is one of our favorites.  Great lyrics and a catchy tune. The song itself is one of temptation and redemption that is filled with some of my favorite lyrics. It starts with some great harmonies reciting the lyrics about making peace with God and that is accompanied by an organ that would do any gospel church proud. 

From there we go to the bottom, where we have all been at some point. Sometimes the bottom ain't that bad until you realize how hard it is to get back up on top. When you do, it helps if someone that knows you best is there help you pull out of the tailspin. 

"I got wasted and I sat around the fire all day
See if I could find someone to make love to
I barely even noticed how the fibers did tear away
From the fabric of my being"

"I'm going down a long road, maybe it's the wrong road
But either way I gotta find my way back home again
It's too late to turn back now, gotta get the lead on out
Gotta find some way to make it right on"

"So I'm gonna be a good man, gonna do the best I can
Though I'm a shell of the man that I once was
And if I find forgiveness in the eyes of god
It will be hard won, I assure you"

After the detours we find our way home, but not without a struggle, some self awareness and some repentance. Bottom line here is that we all tend to screw up time and again and that without someone to help you find your way again you are usually in trouble. Don't turn your back on those that love you and offer that chance at finding your way home.

 Maybe that is what it means...... It could be that this is just a damn good song with a catchy tune. Sounds much happier than the lyrics show, but often times the saddest people are the ones that smile the most. John Prine once sang, "A clown puts his make up on upside down so he wears a smile even when he wears a frown". Ain't that the truth. May you be lucky enough to find someone that knows it and helps you through the tough times. 




Comments

Popular Posts