6. On a Night Like This

 Bob Dylan is back again with On a Night Like This.  Honestly, I almost put the entire Planet Waves album as one post. It has great songs and The Band is backing Dylan again, so you have all the great musicianship they bring to the table. Other songs will probably make an appearance here at some point, but the reason being is that to me, the entire album is a snapshot of a season, late fall/early winter to be exact.  What I mean is that anytime I hear a song from this album I can remember the time of year I played this incessantly after I bought it from Circuit City with some of the money I made flipping burgers or making bagel sandwiches.  

This particular song is an uptempo love song about a night of love on a cold night. That is it. Simple as that. I think the fact that this song also deals with a cold night probably embedded the seasonality of it in my brain. Nevertheless, why I love this song and the others on the album is because of where it takes me when I hear it. From the first quick strums of the guitar on this album opener I am back walking across the crunchy frosty grass towards my car. The smell of fireplace smoke is strong and when I inhale deeper the cold air freezes my nostrils as I get into my car. Between the smoke and the ice you could almost smell snow in the air. The CD is popped into the CD player of the old Bronco II and the opening chords of this underappreciated Dylan album blast through the speakers. I crank that old motor and head out to drive around with friends. Looking for girls so that perhaps this too could be another soundtrack song, but being the awkward teenager that I was it never usually panned out that way. It was always fun trying and laughing along the way.  Anyone else have a song that takes them so vividly back to a particular place and time?

Listen here

https://vimeo.com/381447648

or here



Comments

Popular Posts