16. Live Forever

 Billy Joe Shaver. Outlaw songwriter and a legend in his own right.  He penned songs for Waylon Jennings, Elvis, Johnny Cash and others.  Sad to hear of his death today.  This song has always been one of my favorites and is a fitting follow up to a post about my kids.  It is also a nice ray of light in a world that is currently filled with such division and hate.   

This one starts out with a beautiful finger picked melody that carries us through the whole song. As is the case with most of the songs on this blog the lyrics are what really make this one. This song is kind of like a long goodbye.  Knowing we will eventually meet our end it reminds us that the legacy we leave behind will live forever with the ones we love. If we have faith and do good in this world for the ones we love we will always be with the ones left behind.  


"I'm gonna live forever
I'm gonna cross that river
I'm gonna catch tomorrow now
You're gonna wanna hold me
Just like I always told you
You're gonna miss me when I'm gone
Nobody here will ever find me
But I always be around
Just like the songs I leave behind me
I'm gonna live forever now"

It also reminds us that we need to raise our children right and that if we do the wrong things we will leave them in the darkness.   Fitting lines in a time where so much hate and division exists in the world.  Love each other, teach that to your children and let your legacy be one of love, happiness and great memories. 

"You fathers and you mothers
Be good to one another
Please try to raise your children right
Don't let the darkness take 'em
Don't make 'em feel forsaken
Just lead them safely to the light
When this old world has blown us under
And all the stars from fall this sky
Remember someone really loves you
We'll live forever you and I"







Comments

Popular Posts