10. The Promise

 Kris Kristofferson returns to the page and this time with a song for his kids. It is a tender song about the love a parent feels for their children. It is simple and beautiful and pure. Just like my kids and my love for them. I love that he confronts a reality all parents must eventually face. This is that eventually all our little ones must leave the nest and spread their wings to live a life of their own.  I love listening to this and reflecting on my memories of my girls. I can only imagine how much more poignant this will become when they are older. 

He, like Dylan, Prine and others does a remarkable job tapping into human emotions in such a simple way. 

"You gave me back my soul again by showin' me
The laughter and the wonder in your eyes
Saved me from the shuttered man I used to be
Opened up the windows of my life"

I can say with certainty that becoming a dad has opened my eyes and made me a more caring and kind person. My kids and my wife have made me far better than I could have ever dreamed to be. 

"And the happiness you've given me for lovin' you
Is sweeter love and deeper every day
I can't stop the changes that you're growin' through
Or someone new from stealin' you away"

I can also say with certainty that even though there are hard days and yelling at times, there is a joy my kids bring to me that fills me with love and happiness that does grow everyday.  The little things, the mispronounced words, the sheer kindness and the love they share with the world makes me smile.

"So darlin' when it's time you can spread your wings
And I'll set you free - to fly away - and it's ok
Cause darlin' time changes everything
But it won't change me
I love you - oh... I love you

Inside of me you'll always be my valentine
I pray your freedom makes your dreams come through
As long as there's a heartbeat in this soul of mine
You'll know there's someone so in love with you"
Girls, may you find your dreams and make them come true. You will always be my little acorns. I know there will come a time when you will have to leave, but no matter how much time tries to fly it won't change how much I love you both. 




Comments

Popular Posts